Melocanna baccifera Trin.
Growth Habit: Shrub
Bangla/Vernacular Name: Bajali.
Tribal Name: Leowli (Khumi).
Description of the Plant:
Diffusely clumped sympodial bamboo. Young shoots yellowish-brown. Culms green when young, straw coloured when old.
Mode of Uses:
Various types of stuffs for domestic use made from bamboo some are given below: (Khumi).
- Sa-e: Sa-e is smoking pipe made from bamboo. This is used for smoking.
- Beowha: Beowha is a fish trapping tools made from bamboo and cane. It is used for catching the shrimp, crab and fish.
- Saowang: Saowang is a water container basket made from bamboo and cane. This is used for carrying for water pots from far distance.
- Tingtabeow: A product of bamboo. This little basket is used to storage seed.
- Pahu Aprong: Pahu aprong is a housing implements made from bamboo and cane. It is used for drying seed.
- Tarai: A product of bamboo. This kitchen implements is used for keep pan.
- My-mu-sangfu: A product of bamboo. This kitchen tools is used to inflame the burning fire.
- Tangki: Tangki is a kitchen tools made from bamboo.
- Neow kajeng: A product( cooking tools) of bamboo is used for stirring the boiling rice.
- Ang kajeng: A product( cooking tools) of bamboo is used for stirring curry.
- Cha pai: Cha pai is seed storage container made from bamboo and cane. This is used for to storage the paddy in large scale.
Chittagong, Chittagong Hill Tracts and Cox's Bazar.
Submit Your Contribution:
Return from Melocanna baccifera Trin. to Ethnobotany Plants profile.